We have made tremendous progress in the first half of 2016. We now have five chapters, 171 regular donors, and have reached over $50,000 in cumulative donations. Read our Fall 2016 Report here to find out more!
There are over 1 million nonprofits in the United States alone. With so many choices, it is difficult for even the most sophisticated philanthropists to assess which organizations are most deserving.
With this challenge in mind, we formed One for the World in 2012. Our goal was twofold. First, to raise awareness of effective altruism and encourage donors to approach philanthropy with the same financial discipline they would apply to any other investment. Second, to facilitate effective giving by creating a portfolio of non-profits that are recognized by leading experts as being the most impactful.
We have made tremendous progress in the first half of 2016:
- Surpassed $50,000 of cumulative donations, allowing our partners to reach an additional 40,000 people living in poverty.
- Enrolled new members, giving a total of 171 regular donors (including those who will begin donating this fall), contributing to an estimated annual run rate of $140,000+ by January 1, 2017.
- Completed our annual charity review process, whereby we added Population Services International (PSI) to our portfolio. PSI provides family planning services, maternal health services, and HIV / AIDS prevention and management services to the world’s poor.
- Conducted our first ‘pledge week’ at Sloan Business School and Harvard Business School - cementing our footprint in two leading MBA programs.
- Expanded our presence at the University of Pennsylvania to include the undergraduate and law programs § Collaborated with The Life You Can Save, a non-profit founded by world renowned Princeton philosopher Peter Singer that advocates for effective giving.
Looking ahead, we are focused on 3 key areas:
- Increasing our reach: We plan to establish 5+ new chapters across universities in the United States in the next 2 years.
- Growing our impact: While our existing portfolio of charities is excellent, it is focused on a subset of issues that plague the world’s poor. Looking ahead, we plan to continue to expand the causes we support, possibly to include women and children, hunger and nutrition, agriculture, and other proven interventions.
- Expanding our partnerships: Our collaboration with The Life You Can Save has helped sharpen our thinking. We will continue to look for inspiration and gain synergies from talented philanthropists, economists, and scholars outside of our organization.
We invite you to read more about our progress and vision in this report. Thank you for your ongoing support, 1% of your income is safeguarding someone’s entire life.